G’day! Hope all is well. Bendigo Hospital is a state-of-the-art healthcare facility located in the city of Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. This hospital is one of the largest regional hospitals in the state and serves a population of over 300,000 people across Central Victoria. Bendigo Hospital is a shining example of how nature in balance with innovation are transforming the healthcare industry.
The hospital was opened in January 2017, after a construction project that took almost three years and cost approximately AUD 630 million. The project was funded by the Victorian government and aimed to replace the existing Bendigo Hospital, which was outdated and could no longer cater to the growing needs of the region’s population.
The new Bendigo Hospital is a massive complex that covers an area of approximately 95,000 square meters. The hospital has 372 inpatient beds, 72 same-day beds, and 11 operating theaters. The hospital’s emergency department is one of the largest in regional Victoria, with over 70 treatment spaces.
One of the most remarkable features of Bendigo Hospital is its innovative design, which was focused on creating a patient-centered environment. The hospital’s architects and designers worked closely with healthcare professionals to create a facility that would maximize patient comfort, safety, and wellbeing.
The hospital’s design includes many features that promote patient healing and recovery, such as natural light and greenery. The hospital’s main entrance features a large atrium that floods the space with natural light, creating a welcoming and calming atmosphere. The hospital also has several outdoor areas, including gardens and courtyards, where patients and their families can spend time in the fresh air.
The hospital’s technology is also cutting-edge. Bendigo Hospital has an electronic medical record system, which allows healthcare professionals to access patient information in real-time, regardless of where they are in the hospital. The hospital also has a robotic pharmacy that uses automation to fill prescriptions accurately and efficiently.
Another unique feature of Bendigo Hospital is its commitment to sustainability. The hospital was designed with environmental sustainability in mind, and many features were included to reduce its carbon footprint. For example, the hospital has a large rooftop solar panel system which provides an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) and a tri-generation plant, a 770-panel solar array.
The hospital also has a rainwater harvesting system that collects rainwater from the 1.000 sqm green roof (the largest green roof in a hospital in Australia) and uses it for non-potable purposes, such as flushing toilets and watering plants. Additionally, the hospital’s waste management system is designed to reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfill. The hospital recycles around 85% of its waste, with the remaining 15% being sent to an energy-from-waste facility.
Bendigo Hospital’s commitment to sustainability extends beyond its physical infrastructure. The hospital has implemented several programs to reduce its environmental impact further. For example, the hospital has a food waste reduction program that aims to reduce the amount of food waste generated by the hospital’s kitchens. The hospital also encourages staff to use public transport, bicycles, or walk to work.
Another interesting large and complex project with sustainable approach located in Victoria can also be found in our Blog, the Burwood Brickworks shopping centre.
In addition to its commitment to sustainability, Bendigo Hospital is also committed to providing high-quality healthcare to the local community. The hospital has a comprehensive range of medical services, including general medicine, surgery, critical care, maternity, pediatrics, and mental health.
The hospital also has several specialist services, including cardiology, oncology, neurology, and renal medicine. Bendigo Hospital has a strong focus on research and education and has partnerships with several leading universities and research institutes.
In conclusion, Bendigo Hospital is a shining example of how technology, innovation, and sustainability can benefit the healthcare industry. The hospital’s patient-centered design, with its 46 courtyards and terraces, including an Indigenous courtyard, with a fire pit and planting to enable cultural practice and education, expresses a really beautiful intention of bringing healing and nature closer. Much different from most of the hospital facilities seen around the country. It is definitely a good example of new hospital’s architectural trend! ♣